Monday, September 19, 2011

Eggless Salad. - Vegan.


Eggless Salad - Vegan
photo by Martha Stroud-Merry

Working with tofu is currently outside of my kitchen comfort zone. So, I'm proud that I experimented and tried this mock egg salad recipe.  It's really good!  My kids even ate it. My favorite way to eat it is on Mary's Gone Herb Crackers.  I like the crunch of the cracker with the texture of this recipe.

I looked up several recipes on the internet and came up with this based on the flavors and textures I like in an egg salad.  Enjoy.

Eggless Salad

14 oz. extra firm tofu
2-3 stalks celery, diced
1-1/4 T. nutritional yeast
1 T. yellow mustard
1/4 c. Nayonaise
3 T. sugar free sweet pickle relish
1/2 t. tumeric
1/2 t. mild curry powder
1/4 t. fresh minced garlic
1/2 t. onion powder
*sea salt and black pepper to taste

Press tofu for at least 20 minutes.  Crumble tofu into a large mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.  Let it stand for a few minutes--this allows the flavors to merge and also enhances the yellow coloring.  Stir again.  Taste, adjsuting ingredients to your taste. 

(Substitutions/modifications:  Dill relish instead of sweet, 1 T. low sodium soy sauce, dijon mustard instead of yellow mustard, minced fresh onion instead of onion powder.  What else?  If you find any great combos let me know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment