Sunday, September 18, 2011

Turkish Garbanzo Bean Salad. - Vegan.

Turkish Garbanzo Bean Salad - Vegan
photo by Martha Stroud-Merry
Just last week I discovered Wheatsville Food Co-Op in Austin, TX.  I had seen it for several years and wondered what it was, but never took the time to investigate.  I had some time between the art classes I'm taking at Laguna Gloria Art School, so I decided to check it out. 

What a serendipitous time to visit Wheatsville , now that I'm experimenting with eating an all plant/vegan diet.  I LOVE this grocery store!  In addition to natural and organic groceries and bulk items (including weird ingredients that I see in vegan recipes but had no idea where to buy them), they have a fabulous deli.  I sampled some of their salads, this garbanzo bean salad being one of them.  It's my new favorite.  I looked up the recipe online and found several sources.  The flavors remind me of the Chicken Mirabella recipe in the Silver Palate Cook Book.

I'm not a die hard "measure-er" with recipes like this, and use my own palate to guide me on amounts.  If you don't buy dried garbanzo beans to soak and use, you really should start.  It's dirt cheap and super easy.  They taste better too.  Use the overnight method described on the back of the package.

For those of you that adhere strictly to recipes, here you go.  My kids even love this stuff!  Enjoy.

Turkish Garbanzo Bean Salad - Vegan

2 cups garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. kalamata olive brine from olive jar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T. Dijon Mustard
1/2 t. each:  marjoram, oregano, paprika
1 t. sea salt
black pepper to taste

Mix together all ingredients and serve or refrigerate.  This salad tastes best the next day, after all the flavors have had a chance to seep into the beans. 

(Note:  I just made a second batch of this because my kids have already eaten 1/2 of the first batch.  I didn't have enough dried apricots so I threw in some dried currants.  Don't ever be afraid to improvise and modify.  If you do so with anything I post here, please share so I can try it too!!!)

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried Chickpea of the Sea salad? It's a vegetarian version of chicken or tuna salad, I loved it! All you need to do to make it vegan is substitute veganaise for mayo.

    ReplyDelete